3/26/13

Red Panda Progress


I started painting my piece for Light Grey Art Lab's upcoming show, Macro & Micro. One of my resolutions for this year was challenging myself to confront things I usually avoid in art, like painting backgrounds. I'm not sure when it happened, but at some point I stopped planning setting and opted for solid color or white backgrounds which really seemed to stunt creative growth for me. So for this piece, I made sure to place the red panda traveler and his friend in an actual environment (as in with a landscape...it exists nowhere else besides on the paper). This progress shot is my second attempt with a sky I'm happy with, and I can feel a watercolor gradient addiction creeping on... My first attempt became muddied with gouache and the colors weren't taking shape as I planned. Lesson learned: watercolor gradients work much better for backgrounds than gouache. Now to get back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment